Sunday, 26 February 2012

Getting what you want when you're 3!

I recently had an intake of 3 year old's in my class, which has taken us back to basics in some areas...snack time in particular...

I'm a great advocate for having a communal snack time in Nursery.  It's a good opportunity for the children to learn social and communication skills, and to help develop a sense of community through adult lead discussions.

Turn taking is one of the first social skills that comes into focus...

No matter how many times you explain how the process works, the temptation is far too great when you're 3.  The temptation to get off your seat and go and help yourself to a juicy apple and a carton of milk.  My TA's and I have developed a 'zonal defence' system that ensures all the runners are intercepted and returned to their seats with a minimum of fuss.  It takes about 3 days for the runners to learn that their attempts are futile.

Next they move on to the 'I want one' stage...

Despite the routine of milk and fruit being passed around the table, it seems likely when you're 3, that standing up and excitedly shouting ' I want one' will get you an apple more quickly.  Of course it doesn't work, and the shouts are ignored by adults until the fruit bowl is within reach.  This leads to the introduction of the concepts 'please' and 'thank you'.  Some children already use these concepts effectively to get what they want, some get too excited and forget them, and some...well actually one in particular...

'I want one'

'I'm sure you do. How do you ask for one nicely?'

'I want an apple.'

'How do we get things that we want?'

'I want an apple.  Do I have to count.  1.....2.....'


Seems modelling behaviour is a very effective strategy!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...