Sunday, 18 December 2011

Rising self awareness and esteem...

A child in my class refers to himself as a bear.  He was still in nappies when he joined the class in September, and would come in most mornings and say...

"Morning, I'm a little bear", whilst pointing to himself with no small amount of pride.

A few weeks later he came in with a beaming smile, waving vigorously and said...

"Morning, I'm a big bear now. I'm like you, we're both big bears! I got no nappies now."
A touching moment, and a clear leap in self-esteem.  I paused to reflect on this as evidence of me providing a positive role model for a developing young man.

One morning during the last week of term...

Child : "Morning"

Me : "Morning, how are you big bear? We're the same aren't we!"

Child : "No"....pauses for thought and then points to the top of my head..."you've got no hair!"

Thanks mate!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...